General Care of the Chromebook
- Always carry the device with care; the screen should not be open when being carried.
- Do not lift the device by the screen.
- Do not store the device where other items can place pressure on the screen.
- Do not place food or drink near the device.
- Insert cords, cables, and removable storage devices carefully.
- Do not deface the device with writing, drawings, stickers, labels, etc. that are not approved by the District.
- Do not place heavy objects on the device.
- Clean the screen only with a soft, dry microfiber cloth or anti-static cloth.
DO NOT USE CLEANING SOLVENTS OR OTHER LIQUIDS ON THE SCREEN.
- Do not deface or remove any District labeling.
It is the student’s responsibility to care for and protect the device
Guidelines for Appropriate Use
With the opportunity afforded by using District technology comes the requirement to use that technology responsibly. Failure to use district devices, networks, or other resources responsibly may result in disciplinary action.
- Use the Chromebook and other district technology resources during instructional time only for academic purposes.
- Use web tools as an extension of the classroom while they are at home.
- Use appropriate language and graphics, whether they are posting and publishing from home or school, when they are using blogs, podcasts, email, a Learning Management System, or other communication tools.
- Use only assigned accounts.
- Maintain confidentiality about usernames and passwords.
- Only communicate in ways that are kind and respectful.
- Remember that making illegal copies of music, games, movies, and other copyrighted material is
Prohibited and against the Law. Even streaming movies for free is Illegal!
- Give credit when using the words or works of others.
- Prevent damage to the Chromebook
- Immediately report the loss or damage of the device to the FHS Student Technology center.
- Charge the device at home, and have it ready to use every day in every class period.
- Keep the sound muted or use headphones or earbuds when the noise might disturb others, and keep the volume low when wearing headphones or earbuds to avoid damaging their hearing and disturbing others.
- Digitally publish work whenever possible.
Students will NOT:
- Remove any identifying stickers or labels placed in or on the device by the District.
- Allow other people to use their assigned device.
- View, use, or copy passwords, data, or networks for which they are not authorized.
- Reveal personal information (telephone numbers, addresses, passwords, etc.) about themselves or others.
- Leave computers unsupervised and logged in to any District-managed system.
- Harass, bully or threaten anyone.
- Use offensive or inflammatory language of any kind.
- Misrepresent themselves or others.
- Destroy or damage data, programs, networks, or any other system or component of a system owned or managed by the District.
- Attempt to override, bypass, or otherwise change the Internet filtering software, Google Management, or other network configurations.
- Reset or “wipe” their device.
To turn on the Chromebook:
- Open the lid and position the screen in a comfortable position.
- If the screen does not light up, press the Power key on the top right side of the keyboard panel.
Your Chromebook includes a power adapter and cord to charge up its internal battery, which can power the device throughout the school day. Its rated new battery life is 10 hours when fully charged.
LED LIGHT LOCATED ON THE SIDE OF THE CHROMEBOOK Information
Light Signal /Meaning
White light / Hooked to AC power & charging
Amber light/ Battery level below 14%
Blinking Amber light/ Battery error (contact FHS for fixing or replacement options)
Logging on to Wi-Fi
At school, the Chromebook should automatically connect to the district’s FHS wireless WiFi network.
At home, you will need to connect your Chromebook to your own WiFi network.
To connect to the Internet, use a compatible Wi-Fi network.
Step 1: Turn on Wi-Fi
- At the bottom right, select the time.
- Select Not Connected .
Note: If you see your Wi-Fi network name and a signal strength, your Chromebook is already connected to Wi-Fi.
- Turn on Wi-Fi.
- Your Chromebook will automatically look for available networks and show them to you in a list.
Connect to a secure network
- Select the secure Wi-Fi network .
- Type the network password.
- Select Connect.