Director of Human Resources
Freeport School District #145
(815) 232-0306Work Information
Responsible to the Superintendent for the direction, coordination and overall management of a comprehensive human resources program for the school district, including recruiting, employment, compensation, labor relations, training and development, employee relations and communications.
- Responsible for the implementation and ongoing maintenance of all human resources policies and procedures.
- Plan, organize and direct the District's efforts to recruit, employ and retain qualified instructional, administrative and education support personnel and substitute employees.
- Develop and implement compensation programs within the budget guidelines of the District. Ensure that the program includes objective and defensible elements for job evaluation, and employee salary program that includes internal fairness and external competitiveness.
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory and legal requirements as they relate to the human resources functions. Manage human resources administrative functions including personnel files, and applicant tracking system and all other personnel actions and administrative responsibilities of the HR function.
- Manage the human resources of the district in an effective manner, institutionalizing positive human resources procedures and policies, thus assisting in the prevention of litigation and costly labor problems.
- Serve as the designee of the superintendent at appropriate stages of the grievance procedure, and serve as the first administrative level above that of building principal in any formal grievance procedure.
- Responsible for encouraging the professional growth of the human resources staff.
- Plan, organize, implement and evaluate staff induction and ongoing professional development programs for certificated staff and educational support personnel in consultation with administrators and employee representatives including state required re-certification programs.
Chris Shockey began serving as Director of Human Resources for Freeport School District in July 2015. His previous experience includes two years as the Assistant Regional Superintendent for the Regional Office of Education #8. Prior to that, Chris served as principal of Forreston and German Valley grade schools in Forrestville Valley CUSD #221, of Forrestville Valley Junior and Senior High School, and of German Valley and Leaf River grade schools. He has also had experience as dean of Forreston High School and as a middle school physical education and health teacher.
Chris holds an Education Specialist degree and a Master’s degree in Education Administration and Supervision from Western Illinois University. He also holds a Bachelor’s degree in Physical Education from Luther College.
Chris lives in Freeport with his wife Sara, a counselor in the school district, and their three sons, each of whom attend district schools.
Mr. Shockey enjoys spending time with his family, running, and all things sports-related, whether in the form of watching, coaching or playing.Freeport School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer