Dr. Duane Meighan
Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum & Instruction
Freeport School District #145
(815) 232-0310 (phone)(815) 232-6717 (fax)
Work InformationProvides leadership in the development, implementation, and coordination of the Freeport School District 's curriculum, assessment, and instruction, to ensure all areas are aligned with applicable laws and regulations.Key Responsibilities
- Guides development, implementation, and evaluation of curriculum and instructional services
- Keeps current of development in curriculum and instruction, and furnishes leadership in determining their appropriateness for inclusion in the District educational program
- Guides development, implementation, and evaluation of training programs for professional personnel
- Works with principals and teachers regarding parental concerns over instructional matters
- Supervises and coordinates grant programs
- Coordinates and facilitates the activities of the District Improvement Team
- Directs development and revision of all curriculum guides and materials prepared by and to be distributed among instructional staff
- Provides staff leadership to ensure understanding and promotion of the education objectives of the District
Dr. Duane R. Meighan began serving as Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum & Instruction for Freeport School District on July 1st, 2015. His previous experience includes time as Director of Teaching & Learning at Arlington Heights School District in Arlington Heights, IL, and as an Administrative Curriculum Coordinator at Oak Park Elementary School District. Dr. Meighan has also had experience as an elementary principal, high school dean of students, special education divisional leader, and special education teacher in Elgin District U-46. He taught Adult ESL (English as a Second Language Classes) for 20 years at Elgin Community College in Elgin, Illinois.
Dr. Meighan holds an Ed.D. in Leadership and Administration from Aurora University, an M.A. in Special Education from Northeastern Illinois University, and a B.A. in English from Northern Illinois University.
Dr. Meighan currently resides in the Freeport area. He is a member of NAESP, AASA, IPA, ASCD, IRA, NASSP and Phi Delta Kappa.
Dr. Meighan believes that school systems across the country must push back on the "status quo" to provide students with what they need to be competitive in this ever changing world. School systems must be advocates of 21st Century Teaching and Learning.Personal Interests
Dr. Meighan enjoys spending time with family and friends, reading and traveling. He is an avid Chicago Bulls and Chicago Cubs fan. Dr. Meighan is also a lifelong member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Incorporated.