Freeport School District 145 (FSD145) serves the children of Freeport (population 27,000) and the nearby bedroom communities of Cedarville (population 750) and Ridott (population 450). Freeport School District #145 is committed to giving all students a solid educational base. About 4,200 students come to Freeport Public Schools each day.
FSD145 is comprised of:
- Jones-Farrar IB World School (K-5)
- Blackhawk, Center, Empire and Lincoln Douglas Elementary Schools (K-4)
- Carl Sandburg School (Grades 5-6)
- Freeport Middle School (Grades 7-8)
- Freeport High School - Home of the Freeport Pretzels (Grades 9-12)
- Freeport Alternative High School
- Banks-Bergagna School Location
The City of Freeport, located in northwest Illinois, is at the center of a large agricultural area, located about 25 miles west of Rockford on U.S. Highway 20. U.S. 20 is a four-lane divided highway that skirts the community's northern edge. At Rockford, it links with Interstate 90 and 39, giving Freeport residents easy access to the entire Interstate system. I-90 is the major route between Chicago and Minneapolis-St.Paul. I-39 extends from Rockford to Bloomington where it links with I-74 and I-55. From Freeport, Route 20 continues west to historic Galena, Illinois, and the metropolitan area of Dubuque, Iowa.