- Freeport School District 145
- Board Meeting Highlights & Media Releases
November 15, 2022 Board Meeting
Regular meeting on November 13, 2022, the Freeport School District Board of Education:
Seated Mrs. Audrey Moore Howard as a member of the Board of Education, filling the unexpired term of former board member, Pete Norman. Mrs. Moore-Howard took the oath of office and was welcomed to the Board by President Jack Sosnowski.
Superintendent Alvarado acknowledged American Education Week, which is celebrated district-wide, the week before Thanksgiving.
Received Numerous Reports that will be detailed in the Board Meeting Minutes.
- Attendance for October was reported for the District at 90.67% vs. the state at 92.50%.
- A report was also provided on behavior trends. Details can be found in the meeting minutes.
- The Board received recommended changes to update the Drug/Alcohol and Tobacco policy, to address vaping.
- School Improvement Plan updates, progress and action steps were presented by the principals of Carl Sandburg, Freeport Middle School and Freeport High School.
- The monthly financial report and 2022 levy was presented by Dr. Patrick McDermott.
- A proposal for a student trip was presented by Dr. Julia Cloat, and Mr. Robert Winter. Freeport High School would like to take a group of students on a trip abroad. This would be the second trip of this nature; they went to London this past summer. This tour will be to Greece and would take place in the summer of 2024, and will be organized by Mr. Winter.
- Update on MTSS framework and implementation timeline - administering AimswebPlus screener in both reading and math, fall data meetings at each school (elementary year 2 and secondary year 1), implementing intervention plans and tiered supports, progress monitoring, data-based decision making for next steps. This report was presented by Dr. Cloat and Mrs. Geogia Mathis.
A Promotion, Placement and Retention Guidelines update was given by Dr. Shalonda Randle.The current Promotion Guidelines were developed to address learning loss due to the pandemic for students in grades 5-8.
Freeport SD 145 will revise the current Promotion Guidelines to support the intervention work of the MTSS process which will include grades, and attendance data, along with other factors that may require a student to be placed or retained at a specific grade level.
Took Action in Favor Of Previously Presented Item(s):
- MOU - FSD & Transportation Personnel Association
Board members gave committee reports.
The public is always invited and encouraged to attend Freeport School District Board of Education meetings. The next scheduled regular meeting will be held on Tuesday, December 13, 2022 at 6:00 PM. Meetings are held at the FSD administrative office, located at 500 E. South St and can be accessed virtually. Information on joining the meetings can be found here.