Back to School Checklist
The first day of school for K-12 students in Freeport School District 145 is Friday, August 23rd!
Review this checklist to prepare your student for the new year.
- Register your student for the new school year by using our online system. Contact the Enrollment & Transportation Center at 815-232-0580 with any questions.
- Pay any applicable student fees. Fees may be paid online by credit card, or by cash, check, or credit card at the FHS Business Office, or by cash or check only at the Enrollment & Transportation Center (2037 W. Galena Avenue) or other school offices. If you are unable to pay student fees, apply for a waiver at the Enrollment & Transportation Center by Sept. 27, 2019.
- Ensure your child has any required physicals and immunizations, and provide proof to their school before the first day of school. Students will not be admitted on the first day of school if they don't have the required physical and immunizations on file.
- Purchase school supplies and uniforms. To seek assistance in this area, contact your school’s Family Resource Coordinator.
- Consider attending “Meet the Teacher”, “Material/Schedule Pickup Days”, or other similar events at your child’s school during the week prior to the first day of school. To learn more, view the district's calendar of events.
- If applicable, pick up your child’s bus pass at the Enrollment & Transportation Center’s Open House on August 10th at 9-11 PM (2037 W. Galena Avenue), at their school’s “Meet the Teacher” event, or on the first day of school. Students will NOT need a pass in order to ride the bus on the first day of school. Families will receive an automated Skylert call with transportation information on August 7th and 22nd.
- Print off this sign to use for a fun First Day of School photo of your student(s).
- If your student plans to participate in FHS Athletics, ensure they fulfill the following requirements:
- Must have valid physical exam & consent/registration forms on file. Forms are available at the FHS business office or may be printed from the athletic website.
- Must have passed at least 5 classes during previous semester.
- No outstanding fines or obligations from previous activities.
- Students participating in their first sport of high school are required to attend a code of conduct meeting with a parent/guardian.
- Learn more by viewing our back-to-school mailer.
Community Events Offering Assistance with School Supplies, Physicals & Immunizations, etc.:
- Back to School Celebration at the King Community Campus (511 S. Liberty Avenue) - August 10, 2019 at 10:30 AM to 3:00 PM
Come for at least 2 information sessions to receive a free backpack and school supplies. Backpacks are for grades K-8; limit of 3 per family. Food from Northern IL Food Bank will also be distributed and there will be an opportunity to meet FSD's superintendent Anna Alvarado. Food, games, entertainment, vendors, & more!
- Community Day at Mt. Calvary C.O.G.I.C. (420 Challenge Street, Freeport) - August 17, 2019 at 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
Free lunch served at noon. FHN will be offering school physicals and the Stephenson County Health Department is offering vaccinations from 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM. ($20 fee per vaccination for those who don't quality / are not covered by Medicaid). Limited school supplies will be given away and there will be a clothing giveaway for babies and children. Information and activities for the whole family!
Tips for supporting your student as they prepare to return to school:
- Ease into bedtime & wake-up routines prior to the first day of school.
- Visit the school for Meet the Teacher so your child can get familiar with the environment & staff.
- Talk openly with your child about their feelings about returning to school & offer support.
- Have your kids set realistic goals for the new year.
- Connect with your child's teacher about how you can support your child & be involved in the classroom this school year.
- Make attendance a priority.