- Freeport School District 145
- Board Meeting Highlights & Media Releases
May 17, 2022 Board Meeting
Regular meeting on May 17, 2022, the Freeport School District Board of Education:
FHS Principal, Dr. Beth Summers recognized 2 FHS staff members, Commander Barry Boettcher. NJROCT Instructor and Nurse Bonita Brouhard.
The Board Received Numerous Reports that will be detailed in the Board Meeting Minutes:
- FMS Sexting Presentation: On Wednesday, May 11, FMS administration, a counselor and social worker teamed up with Voices from Stephenson County and the Special Victims Unit with the Freeport Police Department to address the rising concerns about sexting amongst students in the middle school. FMS administration made it a priority to focus on the extensive needs at the school and brought in help to send a message and provide information around this topic to the students in the building. The presentations focused on the dangers of sexting and inappropriate use of technology and their impact on the emotional and mental health of all involved in these situations, along with the legal implications of sexting.Overall, the presentations were impactful and well received by the students.
- MTSS Update: An MTSS (Multi Tiered Systems of Support) update was provided by Dr. Julia Cloat. This was a sneak peak of what our tiered systems of support are looking like while we are finishing up the diagnostics and testing for all grade levels in the elementary schools. A detailed report is anticipated for a June board meeting.
- Uniform Dress Policy: The Board was asked to consider if the District will continue to follow the “eased” Uniform Dress Policy that has been in place for the last two school years. The overall consensus of the board is to continue the same guidelines that have been in place since SY 2020-21.
- PreK Enrollment: Based on data collected on Early Childhood enrollment, Dr. Alvarado shared the "Enrollment by Age Data".There was an increase in the 21-22 school year in all age groups, but largely in the four-year-old attendance. Our three-year olds with low needs tend to go on a waiting list, but hopefully we can expand that age group even more as we increase sections.
- ESSER Recipient Data Collection: The ESSER Recipient Data Collection Year 2 Report was due on May 16 via the ISBE Web Application Security system (IWAS).The U.S. Department of Education's Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) fund - Data Collection Year 2 Report must be completed by ISBE, Local Education Agencies, and entities receiving ESSER allocations. The report is essential for providing insight into how funds were used to support students and educators in addressing the impact of COVID-19 and ensuring accountability with respect to these unprecedented levels of federal investment. Dr. McDermott submitted the report on 5/16.
- Online Tutoring Program: Funds were allocated in our ESSER proposal for online tutoring. FSD has partnered with FEV Tutor as the provider for online tutoring. A detailed report about FEV and the services they provide was given to the Board. The program will be piloted during Summer Learning beginning with 3rd and 4th grade Math. This board is asked to consider approval at the next board meeting in June.
- The monthly Financial Report was presented - as of the end of April 2022.
- Specialized Education Programming Proposal: Pupil Personnel Services, presented a proposal to Consolidate PACC programming in grades 5-8. A number of proposals were presented and can be reviewed in the agenda for the May 17 meeting and the pending board meeting minutes.
- Proposed revision to the job description for Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum and Instruction. The proposal includes changing the title to Associate Superintendent. The justification - Strategic plan for superintendent succession for the sustainability of district priorities and goals.
Took Action in Favor Of Previously Presented Items:
Job Description Update - Educational Diagnostician
GED Program with Partnership with Highland Community College
The public is always invited and encouraged to attend Freeport School District Board of Education meetings. The next scheduled regular meeting will be held on Tuesday, June 7, 2022, at 6:00 PM. Meetings can be accessed virtually and information on joining the meetings can be found here.