January 15, 2019 Board Meeting Highlights
At its regular meeting held on January 15, 2019, the Freeport School District Board of Education:
● Announced that Pastor Antwon Funches has decided to resign from his role as school board member, effective January 15, 2019. The Board will move forward in an efficient manner to fill the vacancy created by Pastor Funches’ resignation and, according to school code, will have thirty days to do so. The individual selected will serve on the FSD Board of Education until the election in April 2019. Board President Crutchfield and Superintendent Schiffman will reach out to the two new candidates that are running for the school board in the April 2019 election. The Board will then interview and nominate a person for the position during a closed session at the February 5th board meeting. The individual will then assume their role as a new board member at the February 19th meeting. We thank Pastor Funches for his service on the Board. (Additional contact: Dr. Mike Schiffman, Superintendent, 815-232-0308, firstname.lastname@example.org)
● Reviewed a report on the results of the district’s third annual Communication Effectiveness Survey, which was conducted in November to gain feedback from FSD parents and community members. This year’s survey results showed increased satisfaction overall with the district’s communication efforts compared to the past two years’ results. The results will help guide continued efforts to serve stakeholders in this area. (Additional contact: Mrs. Jesse Johnson, Communications Specialist, 815-801-0109, email@example.com)
● Approved a $25,000 Community Grant to the Boys & Girls Club of Freeport & Stephenson County to help support the club’s after school and summer programming. (Additional contact: Mr. James Rhyne, Director, Boys & Girls Club of Freeport Stephenson County, 815-233-1600, firstname.lastname@example.org)
● Approved a resolution abating property taxes within the enterprise zone. The current Northwest Illinois Enterprise Zone is scheduled to expire in 2020. In an effort to continue economic development activities in the area, the Enterprise Zone Board has decided to apply to the State of Illinois for a new enterprise zone. In order to secure tax abatement benefits for projects within the enterprise zone, individual approvals of the tax abatement must be approved by each taxing body within the zone. (Additional contact: Dr. Patrick McDermott, Asst. Superintendent of Business & Finance, 815-232-0305, email@example.com)
● Approved a NJROTC Unique Field Trip Request to Colorado Springs, CO, which will take place in March 2019. Students on the trip will hear about career opportunities in the Army, Navy, and Air Force. (Additional contact: Dr. Duane Meighan, Asst. Superintendent of Curriculum & Instruction, 815-232-0310, firstname.lastname@example.org)
The public is always invited and encouraged to attend Freeport School District Board of Education meetings. The next scheduled regular meeting will be held Tuesday, February 5, 2019, at 6:00 PM at the Freeport Middle School Conference Center.