December 4, 2018 Board Meeting Highlights
At its regular meeting held on Dec. 4, 2018, the Freeport School District Board of Education:
● Reviewed information about a proposed expansion of the district’s preschool program. Through a state grant, the district has an opportunity to create a full day classroom for early childhood programming beginning in January 2019. This program would give highest priority for selection to those impacted by homelessness, child welfare involvement, disability, and family income at or below 50% of the Federal Poverty Level. This item will return to the Board for action at its meeting on Dec. 18, 2018. (Additional contact: Jack Code, Director of Pupil Personnel Services, 815-801-0853, firstname.lastname@example.org)
● Received an update on the 2018 Summer Mentoring program, the high school summer credit recovery program, and the Summer Math Enrichment courses, as well as an update on efforts to redesign the summer learning program for grades 5 to 12. This item was informational and no action is required at this time. (Additional contact: Dr. Duane Meighan, Asst. Superintendent of Curriculum & Instruction, 815-232-0310, email@example.com)
● Considered a proposal for new courses and revisions to existing courses for implementation at Freeport High School in the 2019-2020 school year. New courses proposed include Transitional Math, Advanced Swimming/Lifeguarding, Cinematography - The Art of Video Making, and Future Planning. Also proposed is a change to the school’s credit system. This item will return to the Board for action at its meeting on Dec. 18, 2018. (Additional contact: Dr. Beth Summers, FHS Principal, 815-232-0400, firstname.lastname@example.org)
● Further reviewed various levy adoption scenarios in preparation of final approval of the levy later this month. The Administration is recommending that the Board adopt a levy of the same rate as the 2016 and 2017 levies. The Board will vote to set the levy at its regular meeting on December 18th. (Additional contact: Dr. Patrick McDermott, Asst. Superintendent of Business & Finance, 815-232-0305, email@example.com)
● Approved a review of the district’s Risk Management Plan. The plan endeavors to reduce and/or prevent the district’s exposure to liability and is regularly reviewed for accuracy and compliance with legal precedent. (Additional contact: Dr. Patrick McDermott, Asst. Superintendent of Business & Finance, 815-232-0305, firstname.lastname@example.org)
The public is always invited and encouraged to attend Freeport School District Board of Education meetings. The next scheduled regular meeting will be held Tuesday, December 18, 2018, at 6:00 PM at the Freeport Middle School Conference Center.