Sept. 18th Board Meeting Highlights
At its regular meeting held Tuesday evening, the Freeport School District Board of Education:
● Discussed the additional funding and support that five district schools (Freeport Middle School, Carl Sandburg School, Taylor Park Elementary, Jones-Farrar IB World School, and Lincoln-Douglas Elementary) are to receive as a result of being identified by ISBE as qualifying for additional support under the Every Student Succeeds Act. A ISBE School Support Manager presented information to the Board about the support that will be provided. (Additional contact: Dr. Duane Meighan, Asst. Superintendent of Curriculum & Instruction, 815-232-0310, email@example.com)
● Approved a proposed update of the Board Policy Manual to align with Illinois Association of School Board policies. (Additional contact: Dr. Mike Schiffman, Superintendent, 815-232-0308, firstname.lastname@example.org)
● Adopted a $56.2 million budget for the 2018-2019 school year. The budget is balanced for the fifth year in a row and includes several new initiatives of the board and administration. Freeport School District is committed to continued fiscal responsibility. This includes efforts to provide property tax relief by adopting levies with no dollar increases for three years and adopting last year’s levy, which funds the 2018-19 budget, with no increase in tax rate. (Additional contact: Dr. Patrick McDermott, Asst. Superintendent of Business & Finance, 815-232-0305, email@example.com)
● Approved the FY2019 CareerTEC budget. Freeport School District is CareerTEC's fiscal agent. In that capacity, CareerTEC's budget is presented to the Freeport School District Board of Education for final approval. The CareerTEC board has already also approved the budget. (Additional contact: Dr. Patrick McDermott, Asst. Superintendent of Business & Finance, 815-232-0305, firstname.lastname@example.org)
● Approved a motion following closed session to appoint Pamela Powell as Principal at Empire Elementary School and Jason Volk as Assistant Principal at Carl Sandburg School. Each will begin their new position on October 9, 2018. (Additional contact: Mr. Chris Shockey, Director of Human Resources, 815-232-0307, email@example.com)
The public is always invited and encouraged to attend Freeport School District Board of Education meetings. The next scheduled regular meeting will be held Tuesday, October 2, 2018, at 6:00 PM at the Freeport Middle School Conference Center.