Dr. Patrick McDermott
for Business & Finance
Freeport School District #145(815) 232-0305
Work InformationThe Assistant Superintendent for Business and Finance is responsible to the Superintendent and the Board of Education for the administration of the business affairs and support services of the district in such a way as to provide the best possible educational services within the restrictions of the financial resources available.
- Serves as District's Chief Financial/Operating Officer, providing ongoing management of business and operational service functions.
- Directs the fiscal planning and budgeting process, including long range fiscal planning.
- Administers the operation of business services including payroll, benefits programs, accounting functions, and related management information and data processing services.
- Coordinates the duties of the District’s Treasurer, including care and custody of all district funds and securities and all fiduciary responsibilities of the District.
- Administers all areas of procurement involving bidding for and/or purchasing of supplies and equipment for use within the district.
- Administers the District's insurance programs, including property, liability, workers' compensation and employee benefits programs.
- Administers, through the respective Directors, all the legal, contractual, and operational functions related to facilities and grounds, transportation services, and nutrition and dining services.
- Collaborates with legislative and professional associations regarding significant educational issues at the local, state, and national levels.
Biographical InformationPatrick came to Freeport School District 145 in the 2004-05 school year. He came to Freeport with several years of experience as a school business manager, as an administrator at the university level, and he is a veteran of the U.S. Navy. Patrick and his wife Lynn have two grown sons, a grown daughter, and one grandson.
Patrick holds a B.S. degree from St. Xavier University, M.S. and M.A. degrees from Governors State University, and an Ed.D. from Western Illinois University. He holds the Illinois Professional Educator License with Chief School Business Official and Superintendent endorsements and is nationally certified as a Certified Administrator of School Finance and Operations (SFO®). He is a graduate of the Illinois Association of School Business Officials Leadership Institute, the Harvard Graduate School of Education’s Leadership Institute for Superintendents, and the Highland Leadership Institute.
Patrick lives in Freeport and serves the Freeport community on the boards of Northern Illinois Health Plan, the Employer’s Coalition on Health, and the Northwest Illinois Enterprise Zone. He and his wife are Financial Peace Coordinators and he is a Ramsey Solutions Master Financial Coach, helping people take control of their personal finances.
Personal InterestsPatrick enjoys spending time with his wife as empty nesters, kayaking, Olympic weightlifting, and generally being active.